It is with great pleasure that the Board of Directors of the Lawrence History Center announces the recipients of the 2015 Eartha Dengler History Award:
Lou Bernieri and Rich Gorham have brought together their shared roots in both Phillips Academy and the city of Lawrence to develop a remarkable writing program for teachers that inspires young people to discover and draw on their own strengths. Working with teachers who are trained in both youth development and the teaching of writing, young students find their own voices, and tell their own stories. They take back the narratives of their lives and their community, and come to appreciate, perhaps for the first time, the unique value they bring to the communities they live in.
The Andover Bread Loaf (ABL) program, as it is formally known, is based at Phillips Academy and anchored in the immigrant city of Lawrence. Initially shaped by the challenges and the hopes of the city, through the guidance of Lou and Rich’s shared vision and passion, ABL has now grown to communities worldwide. Dozens of young writers are gathering weekly at El Taller / The Workshop in downtown Lawrence to share their work and their hopes. In Lawrence and beyond, hundreds of program “graduates” are helping to rebuild and transform their communities through their unlocked skills, their leadership, and their empowered understanding of who they are.
2015 Eartha Dengler Award Ceremony Host Committee
Mayor Daniel Rivera
Please join us as a guest and/or event sponsor on Thursday, June 18, 2015!
(Race logo design by Robert Lussier)
May 18, 2015
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact(s): Susan Grabski, Executive Director, Lawrence History Center, 978-686-9230
Lawrence Runners Lead the North Canal Classic 5k Run/Walk
Lawrence, MA – Lawrence runners claimed top finishing positions in the open and under 18 categories at the Lawrence History Center North Canal Classic 5k road race yesterday. Overall men’s and women’s winners were Mike Dimavro in a time of 18:10.0 and Raquel Lara, in a time of 20:43.0. The under 18 division male winner was by Bryan Henriquez, age 16, in a time of 20:34.1 and under 18 female winner was Jone Perez, age 14, also of Lawrence, MA.
The Kids Canal Dash, held just prior to the start of the 5k, had boys and girls winners in two age categories: Age 6 and under winners were Carlito Veras, age 5 for the boys, and Dania De Jesus, age 6 for the girls. Yael Mercado, age 9, and Emilia Cutler, also age 9, won the boys and girls twelve and under. Winners were presented with passes to Canobie Lake Park in Salem NH.
Over 175 runners, walkers, and canal dashers came out to enjoy the event, which introduced Enel Green Power as the lead sponsor this year. “This was a great event and we are proud to be a part of raising the profile of the North Canal area and highlighting the work of the History Center,” said Randald Bartlett, Northeast Operations Manager. “The Merrimack River has played such a critical role in the history of this city and continues to be an important part of its future.”
Other sponsors included Enterprise Bank, Coco and Early Associates, Lawrence General Hospital, Mainstream Global, Bell Tower Management, Everett Mills, Canal St. Gym and Fitness Appeal, Joseph Bella and the Sidell Family.
Full results of the race can be found at Cool Running.com:
(Race logo design by Robert Lussier)
SUNDAY, MAY 17, 2015 IS THIS WEEKEND!
Thank you to all the run/walkers/canal dashers who have registered or still wish to register for the 2nd Annual LHC North Canal Classic 5k Run/Walk on Sunday, May 17, 2015!
SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
SATURDAY Pre-Registration and Bib #/T-Shirt Pick-Up
- Pre-registration and Bib/T-Shirt Pick-Up will be available on Saturday, May 16, 2015 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at the Lawrence History Center, 6 Essex Street, Lawrence
SUNDAY Race Day Registration
- Registration will begin at 7:45 am in the lobby of the Everett Mill, 15 Union Street, Lawrence.
- Bib number, t-shirts, etc. will be available for pick-up at that time.
- We will be accepting walk-up registrations on race day.
Directions and Parking at the Everett Mills
- Information available at http://www.lawrencehistory.org/northcanalclassic/directions
Race Start Time / Awards and Prize Raffle
- The 5k road race will begin promptly at 9:00 am. The Kid's Canal Dash will go first at 8:50 am, then the runners, and then the walkers. Participants will be called to the staging area near the intersection of Union and Canal Street at least 10 minutes prior to the start.
- Note: the Kid's Dash will be on Canal Street. Canal Street will be closed from the intersection to the Lawrence Heritage State Park to ensure the safety of our Dashers!
- The Award Ceremony and Prize Raffle will take place at the end of the race so don't leave too quickly!
- Volunteers will be at registration, at the Start/Finish line, and along the route to assist you. Please do not hesitate to ask them questions. They are a friendly bunch who want to help make your morning safe and enjoyable. And they are proud of you for participating!
- Signage will be in place along the route to keep you on course!
Water Stations and End of Race Refreshments
- There will be 2 water stations -- one on Lowell Street by the Police Department and one at the Start/Finish line.
- Light refreshments (e.g. bananas, cookies, etc.) will be available at the Finish line for participants.
- Portalets will be available at the Start/Finish Line.
- From 9:00 - 4:00 pm, the facilities at the Lawrence Heritage State Park, 1 Jackson Street, will be also available.
OPEN HOUSE at the Lawrence History Center from 10:30 AM - Noon
- Please join us for an OPEN HOUSE at the Lawrence History Center, 6 Essex Street, Lawrence after the race from 10:30 am to Noon.
- Local author and director of libraries at Northern Essex Community College Mike Hearn will be available to speak about and sign copies of his book, The History of the Essex Company! See below for more information about the book!